Thursday, March 09, 2006

...And Your Attitude Determines Your Altitude

Golda Meier, an earlier Prime Minister of Israel, was once asked what made Israel such a success against the might of the united Arab armies. Israel, as you most probably know, is a small country set in the middle of a desert, with virtually no natural resources and no wealth. Meier replied, "All that my country has is the spirit of it's people. If the people lost their spirit, not even the might of the United States of America could save us." A right attitude throughout the country overcame all the odds and insurmountable difficulties throughout it's turbulent history.

The top salesman for Bell telephones in America is a quadriplegic! Although he can only blink his eyes and open his mouth, his attitude and perseverance have made him num-ber one. (Stanford University after doing extensive research, said that all success is 87.5% as a result of your attitudes. Your skills, abilities and knowledge make up the other 12.5%).


Learn from your mistakes, Daley Thompson, the former great British athletic once said that he learns more from failures than successes. Look beyond your mistakes and savor successful experiences. Make daily affirmations to yourself that you are doing well and are on the right track. Reward yourself for minor achievements, but steps on the road to your bigger goals. Give yourself credit, no matter how small your achievements, because mental rewards will boost your motivation. This conditioning will cultivate a positive attitude in you. (Just like Pavlov's dogs were conditioned to salivate through association of ideas.) I remember that from my studies in psychology "many many moons" ago.

Look forward to positive outcomes and rehearse them in your mind, rather than anticipating failure. Don't repeat bad experiences-our attitude ties us down and limits us, so that mediocrity becomes our destiny.

Make the most of any situation you find yourself in. Try not to be anxious. Things will work out in the end.

Avoid self-pity. Resilient people don't feel sorry for themselves too long. The person who wallows in self-pity or bitterness, spends too much time on introspection and not enough time plotting a comeback.

Be persistent. Winning often means getting up one more time than you have been knocked down. Persevere and never give up.

Adapt to change and see it as a challenge rather than as uncertain and frightening.

Always keep things in perspective. Because our job is such a big part of our self image, a career set-back can make us lose perspective. If you become unemployed, don't see yourself as a failure, but rather as having options and an opportunity to pursue a new direction in your life.

and finally,

Believe in yourself, but trust in God .

Technorati Tags:

Technorati Tags:

No comments: